Thursday, July 7, 2016

Blink

They say time flies when you're having fun (whoever "they" are). Blink your eye and it'll be over. I was told countless times before and during my college years that they would fly by. And recently a good friend has told me a number of times that time only seems to go by quicker the older you get. The last month or so for me has confirmed and re-confirmed just how quickly time passes us by.

My last month in Lesotho this year was a whirlwind to say the least. Terp left at the end of May, so June was my first opportunity to spread my wings and fly solo, so to speak. In June we had two back-to-back teams from Holland Christian High School in Michigan, USA as well as introducing Beautiful Gate to a new church from Denver, Colorado as they served another ministry in Lesotho for the first time. I knew going into the month that it was going to be busy and challenging, especially since it would be my first time truly leading teams on my own. It definitely was those things, but so much more too. I can't emphasize enough how faithful God is and how perfectly His plan is laid out before us, if we're only willing to humble ourselves and listen to Him as He leads and guides us.

As with any team, I had a schedule for the week planned out, you know, as a baseline. But, as with every team also, that schedule proved to be very fluid and changed more times than I can count. Mike and Tim, the leaders of these teams, have both been to Lesotho and Beautiful Gate many times and, over the years, have made many connections and relationships with individuals and other ministries. That being said, it meant there was always something more these teams wanted to be able to do.

Let me pause here and just express my deep love and gratitude for Mike and Tim. These two guys are true servants for God's Kingdom and every change to our schedule was proof of how they allow God to lead their lives, not their own need to stick to a routine. I can only hope that I'm able to put my relationships with God and other people at the absolute forefront of my life the way these guys do. 

Anyway, after a month of playing with children, loving housemothers, encouraging missionaries, ministering to teen mothers, building greenhouses and benches, playing soccer with juvenile delinquents, painting interiors and exteriors of multiple buildings, aiding street kids, praising God in His house, praising God in His creation, seeing two individuals come to know Jesus, laughing until we cried, and crying until we laughed the teams were done. All the months of preparation and the long hours of leading these teams were finished. I couldn't believe (and I sort of still can't believe) how quickly it all went by. I really felt like I blinked and it was done. Not only that, but I feel like I blinked and 5 months were done.

As I sit writing this now I'm currently back in good old Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm all moved in and settled into my new home for the next six months. I'm already making plans and getting ready for the next phase of my job as North American Ambassador. I'm reconnecting with friends and family. As I do all that, though, I realize too that it's already been a week since I got home. How is that even possible? If I'm not careful I'm going to blink again and be flying back to Lesotho already. Time is so weird. It's somehow simultaneously the most predictable and most unpredictable thing. You just never know if each second is going to drag on or if 5 months is going to fly by. When I think about time like that I'm so grateful we serve a God who is above and outside of time. It has no effect on Him whatsoever. No matter how fast or slow our lives seem to be moving along, God is always present with us. He's faithful to provide what we need when we need it. As I reflect back on the sonic-boom that was June 2016 I'm grateful that I can see God's hand in every fleeting moment of it. What a blessing, what an honor, what a privilege it is to be in the company and service of such a God.

As I look ahead to the next six months, and the years after, I am so excited. Regardless of how slowly or quickly they come I'm assured that God will be with me every step of the way. He will provide for my needs. He will lead me and guide me. He will equip me for whatever He calls me to. And one day, after a few good blinks, I'll get to see my Jesus face to face. I can't wait for how amazing that will be. Until then, though, I pray that I have the presence of mind to see God in every moment and in every face between each blink.

No comments:

Post a Comment